Jewish art- Thank you

---------

From: Laraine Galloway (savannah977_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 09:06:27 PDT

Thank you Sandra, gregjuli, Susan,Ann,Sharon,Judy and
Woody. I have printed out your ideas and have begun a
research folder for this Jerusalem project. I am sooo
impressed with the outpouring of genuine care/
comraderie from this group. I am the only art person
at my school and I really crave input from my peers.
I hope I will be able to give back to the group. I
will keep looking for a spot where I can jump in with
my 2 cents.
Just to give more clarification...We have a
benefactors banquet every year that is a "Big Bucks"
deal. The money is used for scholarships. The next
banquet has Jerusalem as the theme. I will be doing a
student art exhibit in the lobby of the Century Plaza
Hotel ( banquet location ). Hence the principal has
requested Jerusalem art be done for the purpose of the
banquet exhibit.
I agree that it is a narrow minded decision. It is not
my call though. I have spent a few years getting in
and out of trouble with what I have taught, said,
presented. I stay away from taboo subjects like Greek
mythology. I have crossed the line a few times with
Native American art ( kachina dolls, totem poles ) and
Egyptian art ( mummy cases, icons ). All human
figures must be executed as dressed in a "kosher" way.
 I even ran up against painting "non kosher" animals
in the Noah+'s Ark playground mural.
I have a deep respect for the Jewish people and I love
the children. They have a tough schedule and a strick
lifestyle. It is so different than when I worked at
public school. It's a trade-off. It's where I am now
and it's ohhkay.
Thank you again kind teachers with comments.I will
respond to your individual e-mail addresses so as not
to take up everyone's space here. Laraine

---