I have a job offer and need some advice

---------

From: Kimberly Hutts (kimberly_hutts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 08:56:04 PDT

Hello everyone,

I just graduated from an Indiana University and moved
to Illinois. I have been interviewing for over a
month and have had a few offers for part-time
positions and a few rejections. Yesterday I got a
call from District U46, the second largest district in
Illinois, offering me a full-time position, but it is
only a one-year opening. I was told that even though
it is a one-year position, there is a good chance that
I will be kept on past that one year because the
district is growing so fast. I asked for a little
time to think it over and they gave me about 24 hours
to decide. Should I take this job even though I know
of openings that I haven't applied for yet? Is it
possible that they want me to decide quickly because
the offer isn't ideal and they might have trouble
filling it? I guess I'm anxious to take it because it
is a full-time position, even if it is just for one
year, and I'm afraid of turning down all my offers and
not getting another one. If I do accept the position
should I stop applying and interviewing for other
positions or keep trying to find something better? If
I did get a better offer should I back out of this
one to take it or stick to my first commitment? As
you can tell, I'm very new at this. I have never,
until this month, turned down a job without already
having another lined up. I would hate to commit and
lose out on a better offer or commit and then retract
that commitment for a better offer. Sorry for
rambling on. Any advise you could give will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Hutts