Re: Jewish theme

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 08:13:58 PDT

In a message dated 07/18/2001 10:34:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gregjuli@execpc.com writes:

> I wrote this person and said I think it is narrow minded to only want to
> teach Jewish art for 1/2 the year. now that egocentric. I agree that there
> should be some focus ontheir culture , but not 1/2 a school year. The kids
> need to know about other cultures too- IMHO

Excuse me, MB, but the request was for lessons centered around a Jerusalem
theme, not a Jewish theme. Jerusalem is the mecca for many world-wide
religions and sects, including Christianity and Islam. Your judgmental
statement about putting some focus on "their" culture, but not 1/2 a school
year, precludes the fact that the school is a private parochial school, not
a public one. In any parochial school, one would expect to find the
curriculum infused with the fundemental beliefs of the sect or religion on
which the school is based.

My response, as were many on the list, included suggestions for a tile mural
of the city, "stained glass" project, and a Chagall inspired painting.
Haven't seen mention of replication of Jewish artifacts or even religious
symbols. So, your take on the request for Jerusalem related projects
concerns me. I read with irony your view of narrow-mindedness...please
reconsider its definition.

Susan on Long Island

---