Jerusalem themed projects/Chagall

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 05:41:56 PDT

In a message dated 07/18/2001 3:26:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
savannah977@yahoo.com writes:

> . I teach in a Jewish school (k-8).
> The principal wants all art work done from Aug.-Jan.
> to be of the theme of Jerusalem. (they are having
> their anniversary of recapturing Jerusalem). I an NOT
> Jewish, have never been to Israel. Any ideas of

Hi, Laraine.... I'm going to think about this one...but for now, on the top
of my head, I thought of two ideas....
      1) A lesson based on the Chagall Windows. I am trying to remember if
the famous windows are in Tel Aviv at the Hadassah Hospital or in Jerusalem.
I think they are in Jerusalem. In any case, Chagall is an appropriate artist
on which to base an art project to fit your principal's request. Here's
three that I have had much success with and which the children have really
enjoyed:
        (a) Turn on the laminating machine (hope you have one), roll out
pieces of the clear laminating material and cut, one for each student, or
larger pieces for group projects. On newsprint folded in half the long way,
have students draw an outline of a drawing on one side, trace the other side
to create a symmetrical design. Place the newsprint under the laminating
plastic and tape together. Using non-bleeding tissue paper and Mod-Podge,
polymer medium, or simply a glue/water mixture, create a colorful design with
the tissue paper by filling in the drawing. When dry, turn over and outline
in black marker. If your budget permits, get something called Liquid Lead, a
non-toxic substance that simulates the look of lead on stained glass.You'll
find it in the Sax catalogue.
           (b) "I and my Village of_________", based on Chagall's painting,
I and My Village. Have the kids fill in the name of their town. This will
be a painting based on their memories of their childhood a la Chagall's
floating, dreamy style. Or you could ask them to include a more historic
view or feelings about Jerusalem. You could probably call the project, I and
My Jerusalem. I teach "proflile" drawing in this way, also, as Chagall's
painting is of the green-face farmer and his cow, facing each other in
profile. I've had the students use a combination of variety of materials,
some of which include watercolor, tempera, watercolor pencils, colored pencil
sticks, craypas- limitless ways to approach this. I usually ask the kids to
include at least one object/person floating, a profile or two, and to break
up the background into sections, or shapes. These guidelines have
facillitated some absolutely personal and expressive paintings! I find the
most success with my older grades 4-5.
           (3) A tile mural. Have each student contribute a line drwaing of
a part of a picture of Jerusalem. Use this lesson to teach overlapping and
perspective and archetecture. Study the shapes of the houses, buildings and
mosques of Jerusalem. Transfer the drawing onto the tiles with Saral
transfer paper. Use white bisque 6"x6" tiles. Don't forget to number the
tiles on the back. If you don't have glaze use terracotta tiles and color in
with craypas. Put a coating of polyureuthen on top for a shiny finish. Hope
this helps.

Susan on Long Island ....I feel "out of the loop" on this list this
summer...been away more than been home...so now here's my little
contribution.

---