Putumayo World Music (for the classroom)

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 20:07:10 PDT

I have to agree with Judy that the Putumayo World Music Cd's are great for
the classroom. They are readily available at Amazon or Borders.

I have a collection of about 100 CD's in my classroom. Mostly I choose and
Friday is always Van Morrison day. The collection is very eclectic-
classical, jazz, blues, contemporary singer- song writers, show tunes, Cole
Porter, almost anything but rap or heavy metal.
But one thing that intrigues the kids (high school) is the Afro Celt Sound
System (Real World Music). It has the greatest beat and combinations of
instruments. Invariably, when I let the kids choose, they go to this.
On the first day of school, I play this real loud and flash slides of images
on the screen. They just don't know how to react when they come into the
room....

Patty

P.S. one of my students who graduated last year and is now at Tyler School
of Art, came back to tell me that she went out and bought many of my
favorite CDs. She plays them in her dorm and has turned her whole hall "onto
my music." One of her favorites is Bernadette Peters - they're listening to
Bernadette. I love it.

---