Re: My Paintings on the Web

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 19:53:21 PDT

Answers within the text below.
                                        Woody in KC

sonya drum wrote:

> My name is Sonya and I am a newcomer to the
> ArtsEdNet. I am currently taking an arts education
> and technology class, and would love to here your
> thoughts or weblinks on the following discussion
> topics.

> Thank you in advance for you experience and
> thoughtfulness.

> 1. Technology as subject matter for art making.   What
> kinds of technology (i.e. machines, or other "know
> how" activities can be found in the history of art)

I think basic skills like drawing from observation come first.
Students need to concentrate on learning how to see before
they spend too much time with new technology. They probably
said much the same thing about the compass or the camera
obscurer or photography.

> 2. Technology as a bridge for crossover with other
> creative disciplines for art  students.  (Multimedia,
> performance art, etc.)

If they are using the technology to problem solve visual
problems then it is a valuable tool. Given the proper balance
of guidance and freedom students will create all kinds of
bridges we could never imagine.

--
                       To respond to me privately via E-mail
                           click on  mailto:wduncan@kc.rr.com