Re: in-class critiques

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 19:14:58 PDT

Jennifer Buelin wrote:

> Hi!
> I am interested in knowing if any of you provide guidelines for your
> students about in-class critiques. Do you require everyone to participate?
> What do you tell them beforehand? (I will be working with 7th graders.)

Jenny,

My HS students have to write their critiques in order to ensure they all
participate. With all the artwork on display and numbered, they have to
respond to three items: A) Choose a work(s) that you feel was
successful. Describe how the artist met the criteria for the assignment
successfully. B) Choose a work(s) that needs some improvement. Give
the artist some specific advice. C) Write about your own; what you did
successfully and what you would like to improve. After walking them
through the process the first couple of times at the beginning of class,
they are allowed to do critiques anytime during the period that the work
is on display. That way, when they need to wait for paint to dry or
something, they can work on the critique. The critique is their
"ticket" out of class that period. Amazingly, I think most of the
students enjoy the critiques once they get the hang of it.

Maggie

---