movement in the class and general rules

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 16:37:31 PDT

I can't believe the thread on weird "school" dreams. I have them too,
in fact ..last night. Our school has a lot of other teachers visiting
all the time and I dreamed that we had a team visiting and I was asked
to teach a regular first grade classroom because that teacher was out
and the principal didn't want a sub to do it. Since I taught first grade
BIHK (before I had kids) he thought it would be better for me to do that
instead of my usual art room. (anyone can sub in the art room, right?)
So all the worst first graders were in one room and while the people
were observing I calmly bopped all the little tykes on the head if they
did something I didn't like....maybe we all have delayed stress syndrome
and it manifests itself in the summer. Anyway, for the teacher asking
about movement. I keep a plastic caddy on each table with basic supplies
(pencils, glue, scissors, erasers, markers) It cuts down on the students
getting up for supplies. I teach k-5th and I've never had any problems
with things disappearing. Sometimes the kindies need reminding to not
play with the supplies but usually after I remove their caddy they get
the message. I've found that after I get to know the personality of each
class I can monitor how loud they can get and how much they can move.
Some classes really need you to sit on them and some can handle a lot
more freedom. I keep 3 sheets of 9 x 12 paper up by my front board (red,
green ,yellow) When I have a class that needs more attention I use
these. If the green paper is stuck on the board they are free to talk
while they work. (I keep a bunch of magnetic strips on the board to hold
things up- can't believe I used to tape things on a magnetic board!) If
they start to get to too loud I just walk over and change the paper to
yellow. Usually that is enough warning. If it doesn't work, the paper
goes to red and we have a silent work time until they leave.
      Jeryl in SC

---