Re: Choiceand95/45

---------

From: Janice Keenan (jekteachme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 14:44:18 PDT

  In my school the message from the administration is
very clear...take care of your discipline problems
yourself. We've had some pretty serious problems last
school year and our principal practically turns the
other way. So, as a faculty, we work together in
helping each other..we do not have the extra room even
to set up something like a "choice or 95/94 room. ...I
can give them detention but it never works because the
parents have to ok it and the majority of our parents
are very poor, have no transportation..rely on the
school bus system and therefore refuse to let their
child stay for detention (at least that is what the
excuses are) What worked for me was sending the
disruptive kid to the K. or 1st grade class and do the
work that they are doing. If the K or 1st grade
teacher has problem kid, their sent to the art room. I
do not teach K or First grade so these little ones are
very intimatated. They just sit in the back of the
room and not say a word (kind of like time out). My
kids (2nd -5th)hate going to the 'babies' room and
doing 'baby stuff'. It works for some odd reason,
except in real extreme cases.
   Jan in Miami