Sketchbooks

---------

From: Karen Bernauer (K2flames2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 09:36:28 PDT

Hey all! Due to all your BRILLIANT suggestions about keeping a
sketchbook, I ended up writing a decent lesson plan around the keeping of
a sketchbook. It starts with "time travel" and ends by having them view a
few sketches from my own sketchbook (via transparancies)so that they have
a firm understanding of what things like a 'thumbnail'sketch,brainstorming
sketch and a preparatory sketch looks like (it's also nice to share your
own work with students, makes you more approachable!). I emphasize the
idea that a sketchbook is a 'work in progress' not a finished product.
Finally, I have them practice a few thumbnails while I walk around the
room to monitor. I would be happy to send anyone interested a copy for
them to use/modify for their own classrooms. Any suggestions on it would
also be helpful. I am almost finished with my classroom education and
getting ready to start my student teaching in the fall. This list and the
postings I have read have been INVALUABLE and I want to thank each and
every one of you for inspiring me to keep on keepin on! Have a stellar
day! Karen

---