Re: Getting "underachievers" to work for you

---------

From: croberts (croberts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 21:28:14 PDT

It is a detention room...just called choice as a "better name". We do send
them there with a discipline referral for the problems the students are
causing. If they mess up there, they are sent home immediately. No, we do
not have to provide work, although you can. Once they are sent there, their
parents are called and they are only kept for the remainder of that class
period, however, one of the assistant principals will meet with the student
later on that day or the next day and "dole out any appropriate punishment",
e.g., a warning, lunch detention, afterschool detention, or out-of-school
suspension. I hardly ever have to send anyone to choice. Sometimes I just
ask them to step outside the door and "chill" a minute. I go out and talk
to them and then they come back into the room. Usually that works with me.
Carolyn