Re: Distance learning/online professional development

---------

From: craig roland (rolandc_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 19:29:11 PDT

Thanks Pam for posting this information on the coursbeing offered
through Davis.

I have indeed been frantically working on this course for some time
now. (Which explains, in large part, my absence from discussions
here).

SInce some of you may have an interest in this course, I'll add a few
additional comments here to what Pam posted:

The course I am developing is called Teaching Art Online and is
intended as an introductory course to using the Internet in art
classrooms. The course is wrapped around four units with the
following working titles, An Introduction to the Interent, Using the
Internet and World Wide Web to Support Art Instruction,
Student-Centered Approached to Internet Use in the Art Classroom, and
Issues Involving Internet Use in Art Classrooms. These topics will
be exploroed through online readings, activities, assignments, and
discussions.

The logisitics of signing up for the course, etc., are all handled
through Davis Publications. Pam posted the pertinent information
regarding these details.

>Our own Craig Roland from Florida has developed a professional
>development course called "Teaching Art Online" that is being offered
>through Davis Publications. The course begins October 15 and concludes
>December 31. It will repeat in the spring of 2002.
>
>You can enroll at three levels: self paced without assignments ($50),
>moderated with online discussions and a certificate of participation
>awarded by Marlboro College, Vermont ($125), and graduate credit at $300
>per credit through the graduate center of Marlboro College.

>You can obtain more information about the course by contacting Kaye
>Passmore at kpassmore@davis-art.com.

If anyone has questions regarding this course, email me at: rolandc@ufl.edu
Also, if anyone has any suggestions for online readings, activities
or assignments for the Teaching Art Online course, I'm all ears (so
to speak.)

FYI: This introductory course is meant to complement another course
in the works that will be offered at a later date (hopefully in the
spring). This second course will explore comtemporary art themes
from the PBS series, Art:21. More on this later.

Now. . .back to work.

Craig

CRAIG ROLAND Associate Professor of Art Education
School of Art and Art History - University of Florida
PO Box 115801, Gainesville Florida 32611-5801
Art Ed Office: 352.392.9165 Fax: 352-392-8453
homepage: http://grove.ufll.edu/~rolandc/homepage.html
visit the @rt room at: http://www.arts.ufl.edu/art/rt_room/

---