Re: Getting "underachievers" to work for you

---------

From: pgstephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 15:38:14 PDT

I wonder if any of you caught Nightline Friday night? Mister Rogers was
interviewed about his long career and the many positive affects he has
had upon children of the TV age. His message was one of maintaining a
calm and soft voice. One clip even showed Mister Rogers before a Senate
committee as he sought $20 million in funding for public broadcasting.
In a place where politicians are used to emotional and sometimes loud
demands, Fred Rogers maintained his cool demeanor and won (without a
battle) the $20 million.

I think that the quiet, calm voice approach might work with those kids
who seem to enjoy causing stress. After all, if we as teachers do not
reward the stress makers by letting them know that they have been
successful in causing stress, what reason do they have to continue?

I was never a big fan of Mister Rogers and his program, but he obviously
did something right. Maybe his understated, quiet approach is a lesson
to learn.

Pam

Judy Decker wrote:
>Bunki posted at the end of her message yesterday asking what to do >with the kind of kid who likes to cause stress....

---