More on In-School -Suspenson (95/45 Room)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 15:31:57 PDT

I forgot to mention that this (95/45 room) was funded by a grant. It
really does work...Maybe your state has money for this type of
intervention, too? My husband worked at the city schools in a similar
program that was funded by a grant. For some kids -- getting them out
of the classroom does not improve their behavior -- but it does make
learning easier for the rest of the students. The key to the success
of this kind of program depends on what kind of consequence there is
for students who tend to "visit" the 95/45 room too many times in one
day or too many times in one week (and what kind of counseling is
provided for those who are "frequent flyers"). I think originally, if
a student was sent twice in one day (different teachers) -- the
student received an office referral/after school detention....Or if
the student was sent three times by the same teacher in one week...Or
is sent a total of four times in one week (regardless of who sent
him/her) -- the students received an office referral/after school
detention. Since the classroom teachers were not responsible for
keeping track of this -- I don't know exactly what the consequences
were. The main objective of our 95/45 room was to reduce office
referrals. I know it did cut down on the number of office referrals I
made (only three students last year).

Judy Decker

---