Subj: movement in the class and general rules

---------

From: erin becker (blueireland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 15:14:13 PDT

Hi everyone! My name is Erin Becker and I am new to
the listserv. I have found so much information here. I
am a 2nd year lateral-entry teacher and will be at
high school level this year (I was MS last year). Last
year I had a problem with too much movement in the
classroom. I like the students to be able to get what
they need since I can't be in 30 places at once. The
problem is that they would get up to socialize too
much. I always felt that I was prepared for class but
with people absent and making up work, plus special
requests it seemed I always was running too much.
Should I allow my students to move around the
classroom or not? Is there a happy medium? Also, any
hints on general classroom rules? My former principal
liked a 5-step plan for disciplinary action, with 5
being the office. What has worked for you? Also any
thoughts on keeping the noise level down with talking?
Thanks in advance! I appreciate any help.