videos in the classroom

---------

From: pgstephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 13:08:44 PDT

I am interested in this thread about "Unbreakable" because in the
district where my school is located we have been given the directive
that we may not under any circumstance show any video in part or in full
if the video is not designated for classroom use. We have been given
very specific instructions that most movies or animated films rented
from places such as Blockbuster are for personal viewing only and cannot
be shown in the classroom. Apparently to show these videos in a
classroom setting is in violation of copyright laws and could open the
possibility of lawsuits.

Recently I was shopping for classroom-appropriate videos and discovered
that there are a variety of price ranges that relate to the intended
audience. For example, personal use videos cost $19.95 while those that
could be used in a classroom cost $89.95. Same video, but the intended
audiences are different. Similar to site licenses for software, I
should think.

So, my question: Are the rest of you able to show rental store videos in
your classrooms? If so, how is this accomplished?

Pam

---