Re: carpet yarn and upholstery samples

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 11:31:41 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
Subject: carpet yarn and upholstery samples

The upholstery sample books would be excellent to use for line and pattern
study (like collage work?). The kids could make sample studies for
discussing line rhythm, graduated "beats" of rhythm, diff. kinds of
pattern...line, size gradation, circle, oval, filled, unfilled, organic or
inorganic shapes...list goes on. You could also do color study showing diff.
colorwheel combinations...like which is using only monochromatic, or
complementary, etc.? Hey...now I'm going to have to go dig out my old sample
books....ha.

Use these samples for background framing of smaller work.

Make origami boxes. Make cubes and tectrahedons for math-related
integration. Oh...now I'm thinking of wallpaper sample books.

Judy Decker has a great project on her website using hands, ribbons, and
pattern which could give you another idea.

Cut out little squares of diff. samples and let the kids reproduce the EXACT
color with only the 3 primaries, white, and black...good for mid. and high
school.

I'd save things for at least a year. Oh, BTW, once I had some old stuff I
was going to throw away so I put it out on the tables and just said, "What
would YOU make with this stuff?" Talk about kids thinking creatively!! They
came up with some really high level ideas.

When all else fails...wrap your Christmas presents in upholstery samples and
60's yarn.

Toodles.....Bunki

---