Re: clean up -- a fun story

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 08:10:24 PDT

I had to laugh on this one. It seems no matter how careful I am about my
brushes I always seems to find one in a drawer or under a sink or stuck in a
corner full of paint. So, last year I pulled out enough new brushes for my
largest class to each have 1 new brush. I took all my older brushes, along
with the new ones and put them in a brush holder. I warned the kids that
this was it, no more brushes. (BTW - my largest class was the one that
always seemed to leave dirty brushes stashed somewhere). As I found these
ruined brushes I just started collecting them. When I had a dozen or so I
made a sign that said "Wall of Shame" and posted it by the sink. I taped all
those ruined brushes under the sign. I never said a word to the kids but
they got the hint. They started monitoring each other better, especially
when we got to the point when the brushes on the wall were better than the
ones in the holder! Hopefully this year will be better - we'll see! :-)
~Michal

> Here is a tip...Yelling and screaming to the kids about not cleaning
> their brushes doesn't work either (but you all knew that,
> too).....Just matter-of-factly put the brushes that were not cleaned
> properly in cleaner to soak (acrylic gloss medium is a killer---
> doesn't always show until the next day). Once they see their supply of
> brushes getting smaller and smaller they do get the idea. I start a
> project checking each brush -- being very careful each is cleaned --
> then I tend to slack off -- that's when the brush cleaner containers
> come in handy. I do show the students where the brushes
> are....soaking. They get the idea.

---