Re: info on student art competitions?

---------

From: Joe Applebaum (Joe.Applebaum_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 07:21:47 PDT

Hi Lydia,

The Ohio Governor's Youth Art Exhibition is a good one to check into.
They end up with a show in Columbus of 300 works of art from high school
students. Framed work hangs in the James Rhodes Office Tower (along with
3-D work) It looks like a professional show. The Scholastics contest is
also a good one. I used both of these shows to help build our program in
the eyes of our administrators who only see sports awards as something
important. I kept stressing the the Gov's show was art's state
championships, just like wrestling or track. Good luck with your kids
work, and remember not to get discouraged if things don't get in the
shows, they will eventually. (usually not the things that you are sure
will get in.) Make sure the kids know how good their work is for you to
decide to enter it. If you have any questions about these comps. just
e-mail me.

Joe

---