Re: Clean-up routine

---------

From: Aaron and Jennifer (THEGREEN99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 07:25:25 PDT

The teacher I replaced seemed to not place a huge empathisis on clean-up at
least so it seemed. So I started the year by showing all of the students how
nasty paint brushes can look if not cleaned. I said, this is no longer a
paintbrush; it is a nosepicker. All the kids would say, eew, but they got
the point.

When it was time to clean-up, I told them exactly what I wanted them to do -
usually no more than three steps. If there were more steps, I would either
tell a couple of students to start the next stage or I would break the
clean-up into two parts. Once the first part was done, I would give
directions for the next stage. (Yes, I can get very anal when it comes to
clean-up.)

For some freak of nature, I always had some students coming in to clean
during their recess. Before they left class, they would ask if they could
stay a few extra minutes at recess to finish. One class I had the clean-up
jar. I placed all of their names into the jar and picked two names every
week. (I see them once a week.) This worked really well, mostly because I
think they all wanted to use the broom and wipe the tables down.

I think you have to pick a system that fits both your students and your
needs. And then you need to stick with it, no matter what. Of course, you
can let up towards the end of the year, but you have to have a good
foundation to start with. Food for thought.

Jennifer in Michigan

---