clean up -- a fun story

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 06:14:24 PDT

This will make you smile......

I had this one gal who would hop up an clean any time she got "in
trouble" (a chatty little gal she was!).... She was pretty ornery in
most of her classes (but the kind of ornery in kids that I like).... I
called her "honey" -- she would just grin. She loved to clean! If she
didn't want to work on a particular project -- she would hop up and
clean something.
She was really a treat. I loved having her in class. She was a fair
skinned African American girl with natural red hair (and had the
prettiest smile).

Last day of school I put her in charge of the entire sink area-- she
got a couple kids to help her -- and they did a great job! I had very
little actual clean up to do after school was out (just tons of
organizational stuff that was best for me to do).

After school was out this year I had a couple of students (one was
even a boy who liked to clean!) come in a do the ordinary clean up
duties so I could organize my piles (which of course I didn't get
done --- but last I checked, they were still there).

I will create a master list of students who like to clean this next
year and keep it handy. So far, I have never found a student who
really likes to clean hardened brushes (I do like Bunki's style on
that one)....so brush cleaning is a skill all of my students could
help with more (I still have a few soaking in brush cleaner under the
sink at this very moment).

Here is a tip...Yelling and screaming to the kids about not cleaning
their brushes doesn't work either (but you all knew that,
too).....Just matter-of-factly put the brushes that were not cleaned
properly in cleaner to soak (acrylic gloss medium is a killer---
doesn't always show until the next day). Once they see their supply of
brushes getting smaller and smaller they do get the idea. I start a
project checking each brush -- being very careful each is cleaned --
then I tend to slack off -- that's when the brush cleaner containers
come in handy. I do show the students where the brushes
are....soaking. They get the idea.

Marvelous Monday!

Judy Decker

---