Re: Clean-up routine

---------

From: Clark Fralick (cfralick_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 21:34:07 PDT

Greeting Artlings

I don't know but it seems we all have different things that work, yet
there are similarities. First of all, I would say that your never going to
get all of the classes to do a smashing job everyday. But I shoot for the
majority. Here's my plan.

First of all I drill into them that they are expected to clean-up from day
one. I use ateam concept(table)also. "allright, looks like the
impressionists have worked their tails off and are ready to go"

Second, I have the cleanup times posted on the wall and instruct them that
I don't have to tell them to clean-up. If they see that it's time to clean
up, just start doing it. You'll get the tables that assign someone the job
of keeping a eye on the time so they can clean up first and therefore line
up first.

Third, Every student earns a point each time they come into the art room.
If they don't clean up, they lose their point. These are totaled at the
end of each semester and apply to their effort grade.

Fourth. I alway remind them five minutes before hand that "Five minutes
until clean-up." This is an excellent way to get them prepared to go. I
used this with my kids who have had difficulty transitioning between
activities and just decided to use it with everyone. It works.

Finally, If I have a student who consistently doesn't clean up, I will
give them an "official" cleaning job. ie. sweeping, cleaning brushes, etc.
Kids really like this.Not only does it get them participating the clean-up
process, but it makes them feel specialand they become the trumpeters of
cleanup.( And I don't have to sit their screaming at them to clean-up
anymore, because they are looking forward to doing their special job.)

Clark

---