Sketchbook Sign In Sheet

---------

From: SHARON STEERE (SS21803_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 09:17:05 PDT

More on sketchbooks:
I have students sign in when they have handed in a sketchbook. I had a
sketchbook turn up missing. I no longer leave sketchbooks on my desk that are
waiting to be graded. I carry them home in a large canvas bag to make sure I
do not loose one. The missing sketchbook never did show up. The student did
not know for sure that she had handed it in. Two other students had been using
this student's sketchbook to draw a horse, looking at the one the first student
had drawn. In order to make sure I have the journal turned in I now have the
student sign the journal in. I keep the journal in a bag and return them in
the next day or two. I try to make the journals due just before a weekend so I
have time to read through them. I always write on a separate sheet and put it
in at the last entry in the sketchbook. This usually allows me to find the
place where I left off reading from the first time it was handed in. My
students wirte and draw and collage, etc.in their journals, they do too much
for me to walk around the room and grade their journals. The students like to
work on the journals at home and in other free time.

My students taught me how to take attendance by suggesting that I leave the
attendance (spiral notebook) at the door where they come in and out. They sign
in as they come in. It has worked out well. I just make sure that they have
all signed in and that I keep the book dated as they come and go and I follow
up right after class with absences.

Sharon Steere

---