Sketchbook/Journal Switching

---------

From: SHARON STEERE (SS21803_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 09:04:47 PDT

I tried to have my high schoolers switch sketchbook/jornals but when we
discussed it in class the students were worried someone else would loose
their book if they took it home to read it and they did not want to be with
out their sketchbook journals during the time it would take another student
to read theirs. We ended up not switching. But when the journals are first
due, the students can look through each others journals, so they will have
ideas as to what the other students were doing in theirs. I do think I will
go with a rubric this next semester. My students have used loose leaf
notebooks and spiral notebooks. Whatever they wanted. I had thought this
years since the students were told ahead of time that they would be required
to spend $15.00 on two projects, that I would have them buy a sketchbook, but
after I was out this weekend camping and doing watercolor on acid free paper,
I have changed my mind. I think the paper really needs to relate to the
different media we will be using in class. So I think I will ask for the 3
ring notebooks this year. They are supposed to get the ones that have the
clear plastic cover, so they can add a cover. I may have to buy them and
have the students reimburse me, so they all have the same to begin with.

Something I forgot to mention about the Claudia Nice book that you might be
interested in if you have your students using small sketchbooks, is that
Claudia has directions for making a Field Kit to carry a journal in. It is
made from recycled blue jeans. I think it is a great idea for students to
make these to carry their sketch books in. I'm thinking they could be made
larger to accommodate the 3 ring notebooks as well. These have pockets for
ink, pencils, ruler and the sketchbook. One side flaps over to conceal the
sketchbook. It ties shut. Pockets from the jeans are sewn on to the back
side for a country look Claudia Nice says. Students could even decorate,
personalize these with acrylic paint!

I'm so glad to hear everyone's ideas, you are helping me out a great deal.

What are some of the things you do on the blackboard?
Something I did with my highschoolers to learn about symmetrical and
asymmetrical balance was to have students to count off in to two groups. We
had discussed what symmetrical and asymmetrical are prior to beginning the
black board game. I drew a vertical line on each side of the board. I told
the students they were to draw a symmetrical bug. Each group had to line up
and whatever the first person did the second person had to match and keep the
"bugs" symmetrical. The students were to be creative. At one point I had
the teams switch bugs. The students then voted on which bug they liked the
best. And of course they voted for the ones that they began with! I then
ask one of the students to make the bug asymmetrical, which was easily
accomplished. The students seem to enjoy the opportunity to move around and
laugh. It was a good icebreaker assignment for early in the semester!

Sharon Steere

---