Re: keeping a sketchbook

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 11:45:01 PDT

> Dear Leah........this is EXACTLY what I was looking for!
> Especially the part about how to make your own sketchbook
> as I know I will come into contact with learners who won't be
> able to afford to buy their own! Thanks a million!
> Karen

Most of our time the last quarter of this past year was 4th-8th graders
writing their own book, illustrating it, then creating a 16 page book with
cover and sewing the pages, and finally creating the book jacket. We even
included a black and white photo of each student for the inside cover, with
their biography. All text and images were then pasted in, and the premier
books were sent to the state for a competition. Next year, I'm insisting
that the homeroom teachers take care of all the story writing, typing,
editing, and that I take care of the illustration and construction, layout,
paste up ONLY! However, it was very cool when finished to see how
professional these books looked. The children were resistent to some degree
along the way, but near finishing you should have seen their pride!

The process of sewing the pages with yarn from 17" x 12" white sulphite and
gluing tagboard for covers was so simple, that I too think these would make
nice sketchbooks. In fact, down the road, I might want to experiment with
pulp and making our own paper. I did make a power point presentation of the
lesson, and someday I might assemble them for a CD. Take care....

Larry Seiler

---