our work journal covers.....

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 11:09:45 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

Some of you have asked so I'll tell you how we do our work journal covers.

It starts with blind contour drawing of our hands. We do one 2-min. drawing
of their hand on newsprint to practice. They are given 9x12 white drawing
paper taped to the table. Do one 2-min. modified contour drawing of one hand
position in ink. Turn paper 45 degrees, do another position m.c. drawing
right on top of the first one. Turn paper again. Do one other hand position
drawing on top of the first two. Now you have a pleasant jumbled drawing.

Cut a 2x3" window out of a note card or manila paper and place it on top of
the drawing looking for balanced designs. Trace 3 or four in pencil. Cut out
these designs. Pick your favorite. Reproduct the design chosen onto 9x12"
colored const. paper in pencil. Go over the lines in white glue. Dry.

When dry, pastel the areas and emphasize blending techniques. Kids want to
overly cover with pastel so show them how it's done with finger blending and
how to add other colors around the edges of the dried glue. When finished,
laminate.

After laminating, buy a few of those silver and gold ink pens and go over
the glue lines so the design looks like stain glass but done not in black
but gold or silver. Tip....buy more silver than gold pens.

You can laminate AFTER the pens but the brightness isn't as nice...looks
more muted. These last through alot of handling by the kids throughout the
year. Toodles.....Bunki

---