Here is how to help Tracey in South Africa

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 09:21:20 PDT

I had no idea I was already helping Tracey!

I have purchased many items from shops that carry the "Ten Thousand
Villages" labels. I keep these labels on my art objects to show
students how I value art from all cultures. I told Tracey about a
shop in Bluffton, Ohio (called Etcetera Shop)

This is what I got back from Tracey:

>I presume the shop you talk about is the Ten Thousand Villages shop.
Well, everything with a 'Made in South Africa' sticker on it comes
from
the organization that I run. We act as the purchasing agent for TTV.
The
work that delayed my reply to you was getting 17 cartons ready to ship
the US and Canada warehouses. I recently had their chief buyer here
and
she requested a whole lot of new samples. I had to get them all ready
and
ship them over. What a job!

Yes it is "What a job!"...and I am glad she is there doing it. I am
taking a little trip to Bluffton Monday to see what I just "have to
have"... I will do a little shopping for all women out there who are
too busy right now. Shopping is what we do best, you know (giggle). I
challenge all of you to look at the labels in the gift shops you
"attend" and make it a goal of yours to buy some "Ten Thousand
Villages" pieces (or Made in South Africa). The shop I "attend" is all
volunteer staff-- there are no profits. All proceeds go to help the
people who made the art. My husband buys my birthday, Mother's Day and
Christmas presents at the shop in Bluffton. My Tanzania nativity sits
out year round (so shopping is it is a "guy thing" too)....One of his
Father's Day present hands on the wall....

In my house we have "the World of Art".... maybe not the finest
art...but we like it.

Sensational Sunday!

Judy Decker

---