Re: first minutes of the period....

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 08:55:49 PDT

Saragant@aol.com wrote:

> I am
> part of the exodus- moving to HS from Elem...and need all the advice I
> can
> get. I feel comfortable with subject matter/curriculum- although I
> still
> need and will be needing advice and ideas...BUT, what I feel nervous
> about is
> the kids- classroom management stuff I guess. <snip>

I find that my HS students really like having a routine. They may fuss
and complain sometimes but I truly believe they feel more secure knowing
what to expect each day. If you haven't read Harry Wong, or haven't
since last year, start reading now with a mind to how you will implement
some of his ideas with HSers. I started using his line "The bell does
not dismiss you, *I* dismiss you" last year, and it worked like a
charm--no more crowding around the door or slipping out early, and those
30 seconds or so calm them down so we can chat or discuss something.

Maggie

---