Re: Clean-up routine

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 08:46:36 PDT

Denise Tanaka wrote:

> hello to all!
>
> I'm going into my 4th year of teaching art and STILL have not found a
> clean-up procedure that works well...at least one period out of 5 will end
> of staying after the bell (making them tardy for their next class) because
> either A. students have left brushes, etc. in the sink B. paint isn't
> cleaned up C. tools are left on counters where they shouldn't be <snip>

What has worked well for me is for each student to "buy" their supplies
with an imaginary budget. There are small lockers in my room where they
can store their supplies, and they use the same brush, palette, palette
knife each day. They must also "buy" their paint in the same manner.
This system has really cut down on dirty brushes or palette knives being
thrown in the sink or trash, or helping themselves to enormous amounts
of paint and wasting it. The budget they're given is enough for the
tools and just a few tubes of paint, so they have to pool their budgets
with friends and share some colors. BTW, only one class each semester
is painting.

I know this isn't too practical for those of you who must use the same
brushes each period, or who don't have lockers for the students to stash
their supplies. Another idea from other list members that I use is to
number EVERYTHING the students will be using and must return each
period. Each student uses the same number each day, so if something's
missing or found dirty, I know just who to call on.

For all my classes, I have a poster of all the various cleaning chores
that need to be done daily (sink cleaning, floor mopping, tool cleaning,
etc.). A paper clip is attached to the space next to each chore. All
the students' names are on strips of poster board (leftovers from other
projects). After attendance, I slip a student's name under each paper
clip next to a chore. After class I use a paper punch to record their
turn. That way I can keep track of who's not cleaned because of
absenteeism. This system works great as there is no question of who has
to clean, and everyone rotates through the various chores equitably.

Maggie

---