Re: Keeping a sketchbook--high school

---------

From: Beth Goodwin (bgood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 07:00:20 PDT

MaryB and all:
Thanks for the great info about how you do sketchbooks. I too am working on
plans for new high school position and want to include sketchbooks as part
of my classes. I talked to the principal about requiring students to
purchase them and he said I couldn't "require" it, but could tell them they
are needed. I also got my schedule on Friday and the classes are called
either Intro to Art or Advanced Art - 3 of each. I am working on ideas for
the Intro classes, seeing that as sort of an overview built around different
media, but feel like I need to start at the beginning w/all classes since I
know they haven't even heard of elements and principles of design, color
theory, art history or criticism, etc. etc., etc.

The looseleaf notebook sounds really good as well as the board work ideas.
I did the board work with my middle school students last year by using
Woody's ideas about the Artist of the Week and it really worked well. After
a few days, they came in, got their sketchbooks (I made them w/oak tag and
copy paper on a binding machine the school had), and went right to work. I
had read one of Harry Wong's books that said not to involve students in
activities that don't concern them (like calling role) and this gave time to
do all those things. I think it did make a nice structure to beginning
class.

 Should I use the sketchbooks with all my classes or will the logisitic of
it be overwhelming with all the other things I need to do in the first year
of a new position? Also, any good ideas for board work kind of assignments
or questions? Thanks, Beth

---