Re: Keeping a sketchbook

---------

From: Linda Watson (lsw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 08:06:46 PDT

7/14/01 10:09:42 AM, Daceballos@aol.com wrote:

> Students will keep their sketchbooks in an old filing cabinet in my room,
>and at the beginning of class, will get their sketchbooks and go sit down.
>They'll work on a "bell work" assignment which I will have posted on the
>board. Bell work consists of short sketches or written responses to questions
>regarding a project that we will be working on at the time. I'll collect
>sketchbooks and grade them twice a quarter. This also allows me time to take
>roll and do the paperwork type stuff that we teachers always have to do at
>the beginning of class.
> I'm really keen on getting students to enter a room (in a civilized
>manner) and know that they should get their work and go sit down. It puts
>them in the frame of mind to begin their art work. Plus, I need the space.
>Not having students come up to you and ask you fifty questions at the
>beginning of class will be real nice.
>Dennis in Stockton

This is a great idea. I once taught English and it's similar to DOL (Daily Oral Language), where you have a warm-up activitiy. I am definitely going to try this, too. I agree
that the beginning of class can be the most stressful. Some students just want to talk to you, but this will help them establish a routine and allow you to get ready for the
class. Thanks!

Lindaw

---