Re: Sketchbooks--a question about logistics

---------

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 07:20:55 PDT

I do sketchbooks with the 6th-8th grades, and they only turn them in at each
mid term and at the end of term. They're all 6x9 sketchbooks that they make
in the beginning of the year, and each is about a half inch thick.

For grading I seldom take them home, but if I do, then I separate them into
classes and stack them in paper shopping bags. That way I only take a few
with me, as many as I may have time to grade.

Also, I write the grade along with some encouraging comment on a post-it
note for each assignment. Never would I write in someone else's sketchbook.

Sketchbooks make up 25% of the whole art grade, but most of the grade for
sketchbook is awarded for effort, so if they do the assignment, they'll get
a good grade for it. Something done quickly, or if directions weren't
followed precisely earns a B, while something with creative thought or a lot
of effort earns an A. I tell them sketchbooks are like Nike-Just Do It.

Mark