Casting plaster hands gel goop.......

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 17:41:22 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

I'm re-posting this message I wrote to Sharon about the stuff she was
looking for in case anyone else might be interested.
**********************************

>From: artrageous@bigfoot.com
>(snip) ...One that really knocked my socks off was a casting project in which
>the kids were making plaster casts of their fingers/hands. I couldn't believe
>the detail (I swear you could have gotten fingerprints off of these) and asked
>how they did them.

>The teacher said she was using a dental impression material called "Quala
>Alginate" from a dental supply company called BENCO, and stressed to get
>"normal set" rather than "quick set." Apparently this is the material that's
>used to make impressions of teeth. When it hardens, it's almost like
>thick....jello, I guess....Sharon
Hi, Sharon! I think I found the stuff in San Francisco from a store that
sells sculpture tools, materials, and supplies called DOUGLAS AND STURGESS,
INC....#1-888-278-7883. Their email address is..... http://www.artstuf.com.
This is where I buy plaster gauze strips and it is the cheapest price I have
ever paid for p. gauze (which is Johnson's & Johnson's brand which is the
best brand for p. gauze).

They told me the "Quala Alginate" is a brandname but the stuff they sell is
exactly the same thing and it's used for body casting...also like the hand
casting stuff. It's called DERMAGEL. I asked about the medium time action
that you had mentioned and she said that is determined with this stuff by
adding cool water OR warm water when mixing.

Cool water added.......10-12 mins.
Warm water added......7-8 mins.

The price isn't all that bad either. It's......
one pound.........$7
5 pounds..........$30
15 pounds.......$75

It comes in tubs.