Translation help

---------

From: pgstephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 09:19:17 PDT

I need help from anyone who speaks French. A project I am working on
now is about Henri Rousseau, "Le Douanier." I need to know the best
translation for Le Douanier. Alternate translations include agent,
customs agent, customs inspector, or inspector. The title is a
tongue-in-cheek nickname in reference to Rousseau's job as a collector
of tolls at a Parisian toll booth.

I've used a variety of French to English translators, have read several
different books, and have spoken to someone from Canada. Can someone
give me a definitive translation?

Many thanks,
Pam

---