Re: Sketchbooks

---------

From: Vivian Komando (komandv_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 08:17:08 PDT

Ken,

My IB and AP students are required to have journal type
sketchbooks. They purchase these themselves. Kids in my
other classes see them on my desk - since I grade them -
and have gone out to buy one for themselves instead of
the spiral sketchbooks (which they also purchase
themselves.)

This year, I incorporated IB / AP teaching philosophy
into my sculpture class. I didn't know if it would work
with the same results since they weren't "IB" or "AP"
kids. Well, it was a little slower going, but the results
were amazing! At the end of the year I got some notes
from kids telling me how the experience made them learn
so much about themselves.

I think sometime we use the self-fulfilling prophecy
unconsciously. The kids will do what we expect from them.
There will always be the unmotivated, but there will
always be those waiting for the right motivation to find
their own star and shine.

I plan to use this method of teaching - same expectations
whether they are IB, AP, or Art 1. And the journal /
research notebook / sketcbook is on the agenda for all of
them:) I am going to be more serious with the sketchbook.
I've always required one, but not to the extent of the
advanced classes. We may move a little slower, but I know
they can do it!

Vivian

"I am toying with the idea of doing it in my lower
classes
but I feel they should be the kind of student that is
motivated to do more in art and that why I have done it
in A.P. My other classes would do it but not with the
same seriousness. I also give them the sketchbooks and
this could get costly if I try to do more. "

=====
Increase the Peace ~^~ {^}Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. Robert F. Kennedy