Re: Keeping a sketchbook

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 20:32:28 PDT

Actually, we keep "visual journals" as I require drawings, vocabulary,
reflections, and anything else the students want to add. I have told them
they may include poems, song lyrics, their thoughts, etc. as these are
theirs. I end up with some awesome looking books at the end of the year. The
first 9 weeks I require my students to draw 12 of the ideas on my list of
ideas at http://www.geocities.com/theartkids/drawing.html
Then I give them weekly drawing assignments the remainder of the year. They
are required to bring them to class everyday as we never know when we will
need them. This year I am thinking of having each student write down ideas
and putting them into a fish bowl and drawing one out each week (of course I
will have to proof read these first!) . To introduce our journals I spend
the first day with them drawing in them. On ONE page we draw a few different
items, write some vocabulary and a couple of quotes. They have to combine
all of this so it is visually appealing on one sheet of paper. I then
distribute copies of Leonardo's sketchbook with it's combination of drawings
and writings to show the kids what I expect.
~Michal

> As a new teacher, I think it will be important for my highschool learners
> to keep a sketchbbook. Do any of you other HS teachers require keeping a
> sketchbook as part of your class requirement? If so, do you directly
> teach a lesson on how to keep one? What would a lesson like this include?
> I would like to teach a lesson early on in the class on how to keep a
> sketchbook. Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly
> appreciated! Thanks to all! Karen Bernauer, student teacher, San Diego,

---