Re: info on student art competitions?

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 18:57:40 PDT

Hi, Lydia!

Are you a member of the Ohio Art Education Association? If not, you may
want to consider joining. I joined it my first year back teaching art
(after a very long absence) and next to this list, they were a wealth of
information. I have made generous, new friends through this
association, too.

There are four art shows that I am familiar with that are affiliated
with OAEA. There is the student show at the annual conference and then
there are three shows during or following Youth Art Month (YAM). The
YAM show is in March, the Central Region Art Show is in April and the
Young Peoples Art Exhibit is in March. This year was the first year I
entered any of my student's work. I had three go to two of the State
shows. I was beyond thrilled for them. The YPAE is a collection of
only 200 pieces of artwork from students all over the state of Ohio.
One of my third graders exhibited her round weaving project (a lesson
plan I got from the conference!).

I also encourage all my students to enter the Reflections Art Program,
which is an arts competition nationally sponsored by the PTA. Entries
based on a common theme are accepted in literature, music and visual
art. I display each child's artwork and they receive a participation
certificate. (This is about 700 kids) Then the PTA at my school
invites outside judges (this year two commercial artists came) and they
pick 5 or 6 favorite works from each grade level. They go onto the
District PTA Reflections. They receive special certificates and an art
related item as a gift. The district winners go onto the state level,
and the state onto the national level. Last year was my second year
teaching. I have had children go onto state and one to national
competition levels. It was wonderful for the little first grader that
went to national, because she entered a photograph she had taken all on
her own without any encouragement from me or her mother! Our district
PTA has a big awards ceremony and reception for the kids and their
families. It's very nice. What's nice about Reflections, is that
everyone is a winner.

If you would like any more info, please e-mail me personally. I can
send you the names of the people to contact and a current newsletter.

Sandy

---