Re: Keeping a sketchbook

---------

From: Linda Watson (lsw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 07:43:57 PDT

7/12/01 8:46:52 AM, "Aust ArtClasses" <austart@bryanisd.org> wrote:

>I am going to require more of the sketchbook thing this year. I too would
>be interested in how others handle it as a whole.

At our school, the art department purchased an electric hole punch and binder. The students make their own sketchbooks out of tag board. This also makes a great first
lesson. They then use Contact paper to protect their designs or drawings, and on the inside front they design a bookplate that is also an assignment. I teach line designs
and lettering at this point, and they create a border with a line design and then print their name, room number, year, title (Art I). Most of the students take a lot of pride in
their sketchbooks. Another nice thing about them is that they can add paper, remove drawings, etc. They get very disappointed if they lose them.

I have a long list of possible assignments (drawing, collages, cartoons, etc.) each semester. That way they have a choice as long as they complete 4 or 5 assignments a
nine weeks. This is great for those who finish a project assignment early. In fact, many enjoy working in their sketchbooks more than anything else!

Lindaw

---