Re: Keeping a sketchbook

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 08:54:41 PDT

In a message dated 07/12/2001 8:21:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
K2flames2@aol.com writes:

> Do any of you other HS teachers require keeping a
> sketchbook as part of your class requirement? If so, do you directly
> teach a lesson on how to keep one? What would a lesson like this include?

I have my A.P. students work in a sketchbook. They have four sketchbook
assignments through out the year. In each assignment area there are 5
assigned ideas with some of their own making. These have been helpful and
they have used them in their portfolios.

I am toying with the idea of doing it in my lower classes but I feel they
should be the kind of student that is motivated to do more in art and that
why I have done it in A.P. My other classes would do it but not with the
same seriousness. I also give them the sketchbooks and this could get costly
if I try to do more.

Make it a part of the grade and after the first one they realize that it
really counts and they will try more.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA

---