Re: yearly plan

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 22:35:13 PDT

Lin,

My first year I tried focusing my lessons around the theme "Seeing Like an
Artist." I tried to follow the books provided for the artroom by the
district, but I was not fond of too many of the lesson ideas. I tweek plans a
lot! Last year as many on the list knows because they were great in sharing
their multicultural lesson ideas, I joined forces with the music teacher and
did a tour around the world. Next year, she and I are going to take a Trip
Through Time. I will try to introduce concepts as outlined in our curriculum
guidelines ( and textbooks), but I try to keep lessons flowing into each other
-- so the kids are always challenged with something new, or have a new problem
to solve, or skill to practice.

My problem is that after I do research and gather information, I end up with
too many ideas and I feel frustrated because I can't cover all that I want to
share with the students. I feel like I am cramming all the time. I take the
overall theme and break it down into 9 week periods. I outline what I would
like to teach breaking it down into lesson ideas and how many weeks I want to
spend on each project. I have the school calendar handy; it helps figuring
in all the days off and early dismissals, etc. This gives me a rough idea of
what I am teaching when, so I can pass it on to my music partner. Nothing is
written in stone, so both are schedules remain flexible.

Don't know if this helps or if it is what you were looking for....

Sandy

---