The color black and teenagers!

---------

From: Janice Keenan (jekteachme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 20:04:37 PDT

My daughter also went through that 'black faze'. I was
appalled...black walls..are you joking? Then I came to
realizaton that the teenage years are a time of deep
transformation. The inside changes that are happening
to them are on a magnificent scale. The color black
takes our attention deep into ourselves..feeds the
absorption of profound change and awesome
transformaton. I feel that teenagers need their black
or maybe their garish reds.. My daughter painted her
walls black (not ceilings,trim and doors - they were
left white),and had red sheer curtains. She covered
one wall with pictures of famous movie stars from the
20's and 30's (Charlie Chaplin, etc.)The other with
interesting artwork of her own photography. I let her
explore with the designing of her room..and I felt and
still feel that it helped her to turn inward and
explore herself. I understood why these things were
happening and it helped me to know how to deal with
this stage in her life. I allowed her to arrange her
space as she saw fit but within clearly defined
boundaries! This stage lasted about 3 years. Her few
years before she left for college (last year)she
painted her room a royal blue with bright yellow trim
and light blue mini blinds..covered with her own
framed artwork (she's a photographer) and framed
pictures of friends and family! As it still remains..
   Jan from Miami