Re:Art & Intellectual Property

---------

From: Vivian Komando (komandv_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 18:49:33 PDT

Hi Chris,

I'll make this short:

1) Is there a history of copying or quotation as a studio
practice in the history of art? Examples?
Many - but the queen of appropriation and controversy:
Sherrie Levine

2) Legal concerns of intellectual properties: For
teachers? Students?
How can an instructor use copyrighted material on a class
website or school newsletter? How do you go about
getting permission? Are there ways to use the info w/out
permission?

Keep it legal in the art room!
You can get classroom sets for one time use, etc. Your
tech person or district office should have these
guidelines.

Resource: ELECTRONIC ART AND THE LAW: INTELLECTUAL
PROPERTY RIGHTS IN CYBERSPACE:
http://www.isea.qc.ca/symposium/archives/abstracts95/abs55.html

Or just do a copyright search for art:) on google.

3) What concerns are there with the use of print sources
in relation to copying or duplication, and classroom use?

See # 2

4) (I know this is a pretty open-ended question...) What
value do you place upon "Intellectual property"?
economic, aesthetic, cultural, historical, personal,
spiritual...?

Personal value / Character / Integrity - is the image
manipulated - or is it still recognizable in regards to
the original? I had a student tell me the "Change 3
things rule" (Change 3 things and we can use it.) I said,
"Not in my class" - if I can tell where it came from - it
may be in violation of intellectual property and
copyright issues.

I try to inspire with the work of many artists - but
direct appropriation - unless you are Sherrie Levine -
isn't a good practice for MY art classes. I think
students need to learn that copying is good for practice
and learning, but I want my students to create their own
- then they are another link in the progression of art
history.

Gotta run!
Vivian

=====
Increase the Peace ~^~ {^}Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. Robert F. Kennedy