Now they want to ban dodgeball!

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 13:02:39 PDT

Imagine that --"the Anti-dodgeball league"....Reasons are good (the
violence issues)....Let's work on the bully first --then maybe
dodgeball won't be so "painful". I knew I was always an easy target
for those who wanted to throw just a bit too hard in elementary PE (we
didn't play in in middle school -- we had separate boys/girls PE --
only the boys still played it).

Here is some good advice for kids who are under the attack of the
bully. A "mother" of a friend of mine (we call her Momma Doo) gave
this advice (from a book title):

"It's not my business what you think of me"

All bully awareness classes teach kids to respond with humor in some
way--don't let the bully think he/she "got you".

In other words- kiddies-- if someone else wants to think they are
better for some reason --that is their problem. I want my kids to be
proud that they are different. I spent way too many years of my life
worrying about what others thought of me....trying to please
others....What a waste of time that has been! I want my students to
learn from my mistakes. Any of you been there? (don't answer...just
smile) Being who you are and pleasing yourself --doing what is right
for you--now that's the way to go (just as long as you don't hurt
others along the way).

I like these word of wisdom from none other than Tammy Faye (remember
her?):

"We have all been misunderstood. We've all been made fun of. But I'm
not going to allow people who don't like me to rent space in my brain"

...now you might want to paraphrase that a bit...but it did make me
smile when I read it.

Well I finally got done with what I had planned to do first thing this
morning...It took me all day (well till 3:56) to get around to making
this post. Now on to the rest of my to-do list for today. It is kind
of fun to take things out of order for a change.

Wonderful Wednesday!

Judy Decker

P.S. The guy who wrote the article in our paper went to the same
school I did --so he knew how dodgeball was played. Since he is such a
good writer and really smart and witty I wonder how hard he got hit?

---