Fine Art Credit -- How does your HS handle this?

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 10:30:09 PDT

I have been "talking" with Linda.... I think it is great that high
schools are now requiring a fine art credit. Please post how your
schools help the "I don't like art" students -- or the "I am not good
at art" students.

I really liked Ken's appraoch and saved it to file. Here is what I
sent off- list to Linda (slightly edited):

The city schools offered hand bells for the more insecure
students...any music is fine art....What about video technology? My
school calls that fine art.....What about a drama class? That
is fine art. What about folk dance or modern dance? How about a music
appreciation class?

My suggestion is for you to push for a class that is less
stressful...Talk to pknott@enter.net about "Why Man Creates"....or
what about "Multicultural Art (or crafts)"....

No student should be forced to participate in a class that they
already feel doomed from the start. You wouldn't put a "general math"
student in a Trig class... or an "Earth Science" kid in a Physics
class, would you? I try to make my art class as least threatening as
possbile for the kids who feel they arent as talented as others.

Judy Decker

Now back to the rest of you...Please post how you went about making
changes in your HS curriculum to meet this important requirement for
all students. All students need to have a fine art...and the more they
take the better for us art folks. I remember when I had high school I
too had some very talented seniors taking visual art for the the first
time. I am so glad that requirement was there for them. We do need to
come up with options that students will want to take (not feel forced
to take)

A good site to see for Comprehensive Fine Arts is the site Teri has
worked on: http://www.teachingarts.org

---