> What are some recipes you have that look beautifully artistic or colorful or
Another summery cooking-art idea ;;;;;;;;;;
By the way, you might like to visit my website for other free cooking-art
ideas on the "free stuff" page. http://www.brightring.com
and also, more free activities from Cooking Art at http://www.ghbooks.com
on the "free activities" page.
Etched Melon Bowl
œ small round seedless watermelon (or any watermelon)
œ variety of melons, such as -
€ cantaloupe € honeydew € crenshaw
œ variety of fresh fruits, such as -
€ strawberries € blueberries € grapes
€ peaches € pears € pineapple chunks
œ lemon juice
œ knife œ other kitchen tools for scraping, cutting
œ towel for slippery hands œ platter
œ chop stick œ small dishes
œ melon ball scoop œ large serving spoon
œ alfalfa sprouts or kitchen towel œ clear plastic wrap
œ small bowls or mixing bowls
1. Cut the watermelon in half with a knife. Wrap one half of the watermelon
with clear plastic wrap and put in the fridge for a later recipe or snack.
Keep the other half out for the rest of this recipe.
2. Scoop all the pulp and seeds (if any) from inside one half of the
watermelon. Scrape out the pink watermelon meat and place it in a bowl. Set
the pink meat aside.
3. Be careful with this next step as hands can be slippery. Use a towel to
dry hands if needed. With the point of a chop stick or the edge of a melon
ball scoop, etch and scratch designs, shapes, scenes, numbers or letters --
anything -- through the outer layer only of the green watermelon skin. Try
not to cut a hole completely through the skin.
4. Place the empty watermelon bowl on a platter. Stuff some sprouts or a
kitchen towel around the melon bowl to keep it steady prevent rolling or
5. Cut the other melons in half. Scoop out the seeds and their pulp from
inside the melon halves. Cut away the skins of the melons. Slice the melons
into sections. Cut the melons and other fruits into different shapes with a
knife or scoop.
6. Now fill the watermelon bowl with the fruit shapes and other smaller
fruits. Squeeze lemon juice over all the fruits in the bowl and mix gently.
7. Arrange cut-out fruits around the base of the melon bowl to garnish, and
add a serving spoon and small dishes to serve. Enjoy the etched watermelon
bowl and fresh fruit as a colorful healthy snack, refreshing salad, or light