Giclees and Computer Generated Art

---------

From: Artsmentor (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 07:09:11 PDT

I came back from a week's long arts/music festival in Illinois. About
45,000 people....150 bands on 23 stages, a major art exhibition that I've
been a part of for about eight years, all camping over a period of about six
days. Other than staying up 'till about 4am each night and rising at about
8am...I'm fine! hahaha...in fact, this ole guy will be 47 years of age in
seven days and I was out there showing a few youngsters how moshing is done!

One thing that really intrigued me this year (18th year attending), was
Richard Harden's giclee prints of teens in war torn Kosovo, about a dozen of
them. Wonderfully large images of about 24" x 36" on heavy cotton rag
paper. He combined scanned graphite drawings of portraits of each young
person, and layered colors and various collage type images with Photoshop.
Harden combined realistic graphic drawings with interesting contemporary
aesthetics. Of course...as an artist myself, I saw practical applications
using this method for my own paintings for a number of galleries, but then
it really excited me to consider the possibilities for advanced high school
students.

Perhaps an annual competition where the best student work is printed
out...matted and framed and included in an ongoing hallway exhibition that
remains at the school.

Wondering if others are familiar with giclee's...if any have practical
experience downloading large files to a CD and delivering it to a
professional printer's, etc? When I saw these, I said, "okay....bring the
future on, I'm ready!"

Larry Seiler
The "Artsmentor"
My Arts Mentoring & Gallery site-
    http://www.artsmentor.org
Cuts from Larry's up and coming music CD-
   * look under "Music Update"
    http://www.scottburkett.com

"Painting is easy for those that do not know how, but very difficult for
those that do!" Edgar Degas

---