Meet E.T. Wickham - spiritual art

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 06:44:45 PDT

Thanks Vicki! I am glad to meet E.T. Wickham. Do you buy any chance
know the name of a doll maker from your "neck of the woods" who became
pretty famous in recent years (wood carved dolls)? I passed up the
chance to buy one of his dolls (I did buy a Christmas Ornament)-- then
when I decide to buy one the prices were so high I couldn't afford
one.

This fits right in with "Why Man Creates" -- It is OK to show student
this kind of work (we do show Ancient Egyptian
art...Greek...Renaissance...and so on).

Work by E.T. Wickham
http://www.interestingideas.com/roadside/wickham/wik1.htm
Just one of the images:
http://www.interestingideas.com/roadside/wickham/wicksta7.htm
And another:
http://www.interestingideas.com/roadside/wickham/wickcem1.htm
Now headless.....
http://www.interestingideas.com/roadside/wickham/wicksta.htm

More "Outsider links"
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/1482/links.html

Well... I guess now is as good a time as any to get the students to
respect all forms of art.....I have been working on "folk art" units
for at least ten years now....add a few more each year. I told the
city schools' coordinator before a concert that my son was in what I
was doing and why (I had a stack of books I was looking through -- you
know how you have to get the kiddies there early ---but the concert
doesn't start till and hour later?). He liked my idea too. Folk art is
good for kids because they see that even adults create art the same
way they do. When I show folk art to my students they say "Hey, I can
do that". I do a mix of "fine art" and "folk art" each trimester.

Gosh... I better get my notes in to him for future Comprehensive Art's
Symposiums...."Just Plain Folks" might be a fun one....Include the art
of story telling....folk dance....etc...etc....

Wonderful Wednesday!

Judy Decker

P.S. Please post any other folk artists you admire. I am still working
on those resources (that is always on-going)

---