Re: mini blinds

---------

From: M Ulakovits (msqu_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 18:48:54 PDT

Before I learned how to write grants , I was the recycle queen in my little
corner of the world. I have recycled just about everything that wasn't
nailed down. I've used both the narrow plastic mini blinds and the wide
vertical blinds. One of the best projects for the mini is for making
marionette type people. My fourth and fifth graders used the hole punch to
punch holes where the knees, hips, elbows and shoulders connected. They did
this before any drawing or cutting so they would not cut too small to punch.
The joints were joined with wire or string ( in lean times) and brads (in
good times). They used permant markers to design and color the skin, hair
and clothes. I call them marionette like because I did not let them attach
strings to to create real marionettes. The kids loved doing these. It helps
them to understand how the body moves. I keep them around to use as a
substitute for dowels when only a little support is needed. The wide
vertical blinds are great to work with also. You can cut them on the paper
cutter easily. I like to vary the surface students use to draw on.
Occasionally I'll have the students use segments of the wider blinds to
create a surface design. The nature of the design varies with the sequence
I'm in. That is, am I trying to make a point about symmetry, pattern, line,
etc.? Punch holes in the top corners and hang. Allow students to choose
where to punch holes around the edges and attach wire or yarn.
Martha Ulakovits

---