Re: Art I Curriculum

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:11:42 PDT

In a message dated 07/10/2001 10:05:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lsw@txucom.net writes:

> many of them resent that they have to take
> an art class, and because of insecurities about their abilities, just don't
> want to try. I can usually convince most of them to at least try but the
> struggle can

I have found that if they try at first and do everything that I show them to
do they will start to see success. I tell them that I believe that all people
can learn what people with natural ability don't need to be told. In other
words Naturally talented students just know what to do and how to do it but I
am here to tell them what these talented students see and how to make art the
same way. If they practice the techniques like swinging a bat they start to
get better. As soon as they have a small degree of success it will swell and
become easier for them. I have a lot of seniors who are there for the 10
units of fine art and leave saying that they should have taken art earlier.
Don't let their attitude change what you present, but try to change them to
see the beauty and skill in the activities that you will be giving them.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA

---