Re: Art & Intellectual Property

---------

From: Kimberly Hutts (kimberly_hutts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 15:00:59 PDT

Chris,

Thanks for asking these questions. I am thinking
about trying to sell some of my art through e-bay but
am concerned about someone "stealing" my work.
However, I'm not sure it would be cost effective to
get it copyrighted. Not to mention the cost of
mailing art, $$$. If anyone reading this has any
knowledge of or experience with this, please write me
with your suggestions.

> 1) Is there a history of copying or quotation as a
> studio practice in the history of art? Examples?

I believe that Japanese Sumi-e painting is also taught
by having students try to copy the work of master
sumi-e painters using as few strokes as possible.

> 2) Legal concerns of intellectual properties: For
> teachers? Students? How can an instructor use
> copyrighted material on a class website or school
> newsletter? How do you go about getting permission?
> Are there ways to use the info w/out permission?

I think there is some kind of law that allows the use
of copyrighted materials for educational purposes. I
would be very cautious about taking advantage of that
law.

> 3) What concerns are there with the use of print
> sources in relation to copying or duplication, and
> classroom use? Is there a "fair use" policy at your
> school? What about electronic sources?

I'm not sure about this, but I would always give
credit to the original source and ask that my students
do the same just to be safe.

> 4) (I know this is a pretty open-ended question...)
> What value do you place upon "Intellectual
> property"? economic, aesthetic, cultural,
> historical, personal, spiritual...?

If by "intellectual property" you mean a persons
original ideas, I place great value on it. If Picasso
had not gotten credit for his "intellectual property",
Cubism, his fame and fortune as well as the history we
know about his life and work would be very different
today. Whereas it can be seen as flattery for someone
to use your ideas to create works of there own, it is
also like they are feeding off your creativity instead
of developing their own. I heard somewhere that even
an idea, by itself, could be considered a work of art.
 Developing the idea is the hard part.

Thanks,
Kimberly Hutts